Tuesday, 6 October 2026

"Submission" Isn't What Most People Think It Is

 I'm going to be careful here, because this word has been used to hurt a lot of women.

Let's start with what it isn't.

It isn't silence. A wife who never voices an opinion isn't submissive. She's absent.

It isn't obedience to abuse. No scripture, no tradition, and no elder's opinion makes it holy to stay in danger.

It isn't one person making every decision while the other pretends not to have a brain.

It isn't a personality trait. Some women are quiet. Some are loud. Neither is more "submissive."

Here's what I've come to believe it actually means:

It means order, not inferiority. Two people, one home, moving in the same direction — with a clear sense of who leads and who partners. Not a hierarchy of worth. A structure of function.

It's mutual. The same passage that asks a wife to submit asks a husband to love as Christ loved the Church — which, in practice, means laying down his preferences, his ego, and sometimes his comfort for her. Most people quoting the first part conveniently skip the second. Submission without sacrificial love isn't submission. It's just control with a scripture attached.

It's not a gag order. A submissive wife still says "I disagree", still says "that hurt me", still says "I need help". Submission is about the posture, not the volume.

And it goes both ways. In a healthy marriage, both people defer. Both yield. Both submit to the good of the us over the good of the me. That's the whole thing.

The word has been weaponised. I get why some women flinch at it. But I refuse to hand it over to the people who misused it.

Submission, lived well, looks less like a woman shrinking and more like a home with order, safety, and two people pulling in the same direction.

Neither the wife erased. Nor the husband unchecked.

Just a marriage that works.

Tell me below: what did you think submission meant before marriage — and did that change?

No comments:

Post a Comment